“Frank’s Fort” or “Frankfort Island” as known to Google Maps is now an island and is perhaps the first structure built in what is now Eliot Maine, located in Mast Cove close to the Eliot Boat Basin. During the 1630’s the land was still connected, steep but flat on top. Sea level rise and the fast moving waters of the Piscataqua erroded the land and it’s now an island. The island is now private property owned by James Austin of Kittery Point.
Built in the summer of 1631, Frank’s Fort, an ancient name, is named after Francis Williams overseer of the Laconia Company. The company failed, but more about the Laconia Company can be read about here (coming soon).
Franks Fort, and about one mile north “Watts Fort”, also called Darby’s Fort used to be stops for French Laconia Company men traveling along the Piscataqua. They were never actually fortifications and no structures can be seen today. Watts Fort is completely under water
During the American Revolution, rebels attacked the British Fort William and Mary at New Castle, and hid powder on Franksfort. It then made it’s way out of the Piscataqua and was used at the battle of Bunker Hill in Boston.